Wednesday, December 2, 2009

THE Best Painting Sketchbooks



Different sizes and formats of sketchbook work best for different settings. A pocket-sized one is perfect for carrying about every day, while a large, hardback one is great for a dedicated outing to do some sketching for possible paintings. The most important thing, I believe, is that you need to like a particular sketchbook -- the way it feels in your hand, the quality of the paper, the cover -- or you won't feel like using it. This is a selection of sketchbooks I think are great for painting sketches or doing thumbnails to plan a painting.

1. Wire-Bound, Hardcover Sketchbooks by Daler Rowney
Photo © Marion Boddy-EvansIf I'm going somewhere with the intention of sketching, my A3-size version of Daler-Rowney's wire-bound, hardcover sketchbook is what I take, along with a permanent pen, watercolor sketching set, and waterbrush.

Having a stiff cover eliminates the need to take a board to support the paper, and being wire-bound means it folds completely open at any page. I can work in it in various ways, such as holding it in one arm or propping it up on my knees or against a daypack. The paper is 65lb (100gsm) so does buckle if it gets very wet with paint, but will stand up to acrylic paint as well as watercolor.

No comments:

Post a Comment